This section collects tutorials targeting at creating NewGRFs for TTDPatch and OpenTTD using the NFO language.
For authors: please write these in order and always explain changes from one step/page to the next. Also ideally each topic would have a downloadable demo file that shows these steps "in action")
This will be a step-by-step guide that teaches how to make new graphics sets using NFO, from the first simple train engine to the most sophisticated train sets with liveries that change in time and special effects such as wagon backlights. How to draw graphics is covered in the GraphicsTutorial.
While the tutorial will be mostly covering train vehicles, all the steps apply to other vehicle types as well, although with slight (but obvious) changes.
Some pages may have sections labelled "advanced concepts", in which the more advanced uses of certain features are explained. You should perhaps not try to understand these at the first reading, but keep them in mind and come back later if you're ready for a little more sophisticated graphics.
- Preliminaries - What you need to know and do when making new graphics
- NFOFoundations - How to get started on .nfo editing
- TheFirstVehicle - Getting your first vehicle into the game
- SelectiveGrfLoading - Selectively loading GRF files
- VariableVehicleID - How to implement grfs with variable vehicle IDs
- CallbacksTut - Tutorial on using callbacks
- GeneralNfoStrategy - General strategy for writing NFO files
- SampleNfoFile - A simple NFO file
- SimpleNFOStation - A simple NFO station
- PoweredWagons - How to make trains which have powered wagons
- TestingChanges - How to test changes you make to your graphics files
- SettingSpeedEtc - How to set speed and other properties of your vehicle
- NamingYourVehicle - How to give your new vehicle a name
- EnsuringCompatibility - How to make your file compatible with others
- ShowingLoadingStates - How to show gradual loading effects
- DifferentCargoTypes - How to have your wagon show different cargo types
- WagonOverride - How to make train sets with matching wagons
- LiveryChanges - How to have your vehicle's graphics change with time or other factors
- RandomLivery - How to get random livery
- SpecialEffects - Various special effects you can use for new graphics
Here tutorials on coding NFO are listed.
GRFMaker is a tool that provides a graphical user interface for coding NewGRFs in NFO. You still need to be able to understand the concepts of NFO to be able to use it.
- UsingGRFMaker - Information about how to use GRFMaker
These are tutorials that Lakie from TT-Forums wrote, these are on his website for the moment.
Please note these are being worked on, and are not fully complete.